‘Tis the season of back yard BBQs with family and friends! Even though school is starting soon, the weather is perfect for outdoor get-togethers🌤! Today I am sharing a delicious, good-for-you, side dish recipe. Avocado Quinoa Salad.
The base of this dish is quinoa, which is a protein packed grain. The avocado in this salad provides healthy fat, which helps fill you up🥑. You could also add grilled chicken or shrimp to make it a main dish.
I recently made this dish for a family reunion. Some of my family members hadn’t tried quinoa before, or only had it warm, not cold like this dish. By the end of the night, many of them were asking for the recipe. It was a crowd pleaser 🙌🏻!
Avocado Quinoa Salad
Serving size (as a side dish): 8 servings
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 8 ounces fresh cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large cucumber, chopped (I de-seeded the cucumber before chopping to get rid of extra moisture)
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 large avocados, pit removed and chopped
- ¼ bunch fresh cilantro (optional)
- 4 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon (2-3 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa according to the package directions. Set aside to cool.
- Prep the vegetables: Halve the cherry tomatoes, chop the cucumber, chop the avocados, and finely chop red onion. Chop and add the cilantro if desired.
- Prep the dressing. Wisk the red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, oregano, garlic and salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Slowly add the olive oil whisking briskly. Whisk in the lemon juice. *I use a Mason jar to prep salad dressings. Rather than whisking together, I shake. The Mason jar becomes an easy way to store the left over dressing if you don’t use it all.
- In a large bowl, add in the quinoa and prepped vegetables. Shake the dressing well, pour over salad and toss.
- Enjoy immediately!
This salad can be prepped ahead of time. All the veggies, minus the avocado, can be chopped and placed in the fridge (it is better if they are stored separately). The quinoa and dressing can also be prepped ahead of time and stored separately in the fridge. When you are ready to eat, prep the avocado, combine the veggies, quinoa and dressing and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from here.
What are your go-to healthy side dish recipes? Share them with us email@example.com! We’d love to hear!👍🏻